Today, the NIH Manuscript Submission (NIHMS) system gets a new interface design, as well as updates that streamline the login and manuscript submission processes and provide relevant help information directly on each screen.
The NIHMS sign-in routes will now be available from the homepage. Select a route based on your funding agency (1) or sign in through NCBI if you are starting a deposit on an author’s behalf (2).
The homepage also includes a graphic overview of the NIHMS process (3). You can hover over each step for more information or click “Learn More” to read the complete overview in the FAQ.
Note: The steps of the NIHMS conversion process will remain the same. An author or PI (i.e., Reviewer) will still need to complete the Initial Approval and Final Approval steps. Updated help documentation and FAQs will help you navigate the process.
Once you are signed into NIHMS, you will be directed to your Manuscript List. From this page, you can manage and track your existing submissions (1), submit a new manuscript (2), and search for a record (3). You can also click on any headings in the information box (4) to expand a topic and read the help text.
Deposit a Manuscript
The initial deposit still requires you to enter a manuscript and journal title, deposit complete manuscript files, and specify funding information and the embargo.
Key updates include:
- assigning an NIHMSID to a record only after files have been uploaded, i.e., at the Check Files step (1);
- a streamlined deposit process with clearly defined and explained actions in each step (2);
- requiring the Submitter to open the PDF Receipt to review the uploaded files and confirm that the submission is complete before advancing to the next step (3);
- relevant help information available on each page, as in the previous example (4); and
- requiring the Reviewer to add funding before approving the initial deposit (not pictured).
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.