An Introduction to PubMed, PubMed Central, and NCBI Accounts for Researchers
This workshop concluded on December 16, 2021. Workshop materials are available here.
PubMed has over 33 million citations in the areas of biomedicine and health, and related scientific fields. However, the volume of citations in this database can make it difficult for new searchers to find relevant citations and links to full-text articles to support research projects. This workshop is designed to provide a guided experience for novice searchers as well as provide some tips on how to use an NCBI account to more effectively use PubMed.
In this workshop you will learn how to:
- Search PubMed to find citations on biomedical topics
- Use basic database structure to design effective search queries
- Find PubMed abstracts with links to full text articles in PubMed Central or on a publisher’s site
- Create an NCBI account
- Save queries and set up weekly or monthly emailed search results
- Organize results in custom collections
- Export citations from PubMed for use by citation managers, such as Endnote or Zotero.