Building Transparent ML/AI Solutions to Advance Biological Research Codeathon
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence continue to play pivotal roles in scientific progress, so there is a growing need for collaboration, knowledge sharing, and an exploration of the transparent deployment of ML/AI in research. To address this growing need, we are hosting a codeathon, “Building transparent ML/AI solutions to advance biological research”.
This codeathon will be held virtually from February 26th to March 1st, 2024 (11 AM- 5 PM ET). The event aims to bring together developers, data scientists, and tech enthusiasts to build equitable and transparent ML/AI solutions that tackle various problems in healthcare, research, education, and more.
We invite all developers and tech enthusiasts with a passion for social good to apply for this event. During the week-long codeathon, teams of 5-10 people will collaborate virtually to design and build innovative solutions that promote fairness, transparency, and accountability in AI/ML algorithms and models. Teams that want to leverage NCBI databases or publicly available scientific data for deep learning are encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to projects that make use of NCBI data and tools.
Participants will have the opportunity to network with fellow participants and learn from experts in industry, academia, and government. The codeathon will be cooperative rather than competitive, and teams will share ideas and technical expertise. At the end of the event, teams will present their work to each other, representatives from the NIH, and the public.
After the codeathon, we will make the team products publicly available through the NCBI Codeathons GitHub Organization and may feature team projects on NCBI sites. Participants are encouraged to co-author a joint manuscript and share their work online and at conferences.
Status: Now accepting participant applications and project proposals!
If you are interested in participating, please apply or email us at email@example.com. Please note that participation may be capped due to technical limitations and the total number of accepted projects.
To submit a proposal for a codeathon team project, please follow these steps:
- Click on the “APPLY FOR EVENT” button and provide your information
- Click “Yes” when prompted with the question, “Are you interested in proposing a codeathon team project?”
- Provide as much information as possible about your team project. Note that project scope and details can be adjusted closer to the event if needed.
- We collect this early information to facilitate communication with potential team and tech leads before the event. This helps us ensure that we have the appropriate experts available to support the project and that accepted applicants can be matched to suitable projects.
- Please consider applying to lead a team if you are a strong applicant and available and interested in doing so. However, submitting a project proposal does not guarantee acceptance. Our codeathon team will reach out to discuss and/or confirm project details with you.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions